Student Employee of the Year
The National Student Employment Association (NSEA) coordinates the annual National Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY) program in collaboration with MASEA and our member institutions. The intent of this award is to recognize the outstanding contributions and achievements of students who work while pursuing higher education.
The process begins at the institutional level. Supervisors may nominate an outstanding employee for recognition as their institutions’ student employee of the year. Then, any institution who is a member of MASEA may submit their student employee of the year for State and Regional consideration. If the Regional winner is from an institution that is also an NSEA member, the student will be moved forward for National consideration, as well.
In order to be eligible for consideration, student employees must have worked a minimum of six months part-time or three months full-time during June 2019 to May 2020 (anticipated).
Nominees are not restricted to students employed through the Federal Work-Study program. All student employees at institutions with a least one member of MASEA are eligible, with the exception of Graduate and Teaching Assistants. Nominees must be an employee at an institution that is a member of NSEA, as well as MASEA, in order to be submitted to NSEA as the MASEA regional winner.
Students will be evaluated on the eight National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Core Competencies:
· December 2, 2019 - Regional Coordinators distribute announcement and application materials to members in their region.
· February 14, 2020 - SEOTY nominations are due to the campus Student Employment office.
· March 2, 2020 - Notifications of campus winners are due to the Regional SEOTY Coordinator through online submission.
· March 20, 2020 - Regional SEOTY Coordinators submit the regional winners to the NSEA VP of Administrative Services.
· March 23 - March 27, 2020 - National Student Employee of the Year is selected and winner's school is notified by the NSEA President.
· April 12 - April 18, 2020 - National Student Employment Week observed. National SEOTY winner announced and runner-up finalists notified. National SEOTY award is presented at winner's campus.
· State winners will receive a certificate and check for $75.00
· The MASEA regional winner will receive a plaque and a check for $150.00
· The MASEA regional winner will be submitted for the NSEA Student Employee of the Year Program if the institution is also a member of NSEA.
· SEOTY Scoring Rubric Full list of criteria and scoring rubric
In order for your institution's student employee of the year to be considered for state, regional, and national Student Employee of the Year, you need to submit the Campus Selection Submission for your campus winner HERE. No additional materials or previous forms will be accepted. Please note: the information you provide may be shared with the public through press releases and other promotional opportunities.
For more information, please contact Tricia Stouder, MASEA Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Employee of the Year Implementation Tips
The nominating process is easy! To help you with the process we have some suggested steps listed below:
2019 MASEA/NSEA Student Employee of the Year
Julianne Evans, University of Dayton, Ohio
2019 MASEA State Winners:
Illinois - Hannah Colbrook, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Indiana - Jonah Gjertson, IUPUI
Iowa - Thomas Polzin, Iowa State University
Kansas - Po-Yu 'Tony' Lai, Kansas State University
Kentucky - Zach Tackett, University of Pikeville
Michigan - Tiaha Johnson, Michigan State University
Minnesota - Ruotong Wang, Macalester College
Missouri - Bailey Martin, Missouri State University
Nebraska - Cy Cannon, University of Nebraska Kearney
North Dakota - Amy Breigenzer, University of North Dakota
*+Ohio - Julianne Evans, University of Dayton
South Dakota - Michael Stydel, Dakota State University
West Virginia - Morgan Goff, West Virginia University
Wisconsin - Christopher Duncan, Marquette University
*Indicates Regional Winner
+Indicates National Winner